Have you heard of smudging? Have you recently purchased a new home and want to make sure it has positive energy? Are you feeling stressed, low on energy and need rejuvenated? Maybe what you need is smudging.
What is Smudging?
Smudging is an ancient art that is believed to have been practiced by Native Americans for centuries. It’s the name given to the ceremonial, daily act of cleansing and purification which uses a selection of herbs, often sage, which are bundled together with string to form a smudge stick before being ignited.
How Does Smudging Work?
Smoke is emitted from the herb bundle and is believed to cleanse negative energy and purify living spaces, as well as people and even objects like tools, furniture, and home decor. It’s also believed to release negative ions, which has been shown in studies to a more positive mood. In high enough concentrations, negative ions can clear the air of mold spores, pollen, pet dander, odors, cigarette smoke, bacteria, viruses, dust and other hazardous airborne particles.
This is done by attaching to positively charged particles in large numbers which cause the germs, mold, pollen and other allergens to become too heavy to stay airborne. They fall to the floor, or attach to a nearby surface, removing them from the air you breathe while preventing them from causing health problems like respiratory issues.
Due to all of our electronic gadgets, including computers, TVs, washing machines and the like, as well as carpet and upholstery, our homes have become what some describe as “positive ion prisons.” That’s why negative ions that occur from smudging can be so beneficial in counteracting these effects.
Smudging your home, office, or even your body is kind of like taking an energetic shower, or even spending a day at a spa or in nature, spending time breathing in the fresh air and scent of pine, this also offers a direct positive effect on reducing stress levels.
5 Reasons to Smudge:
- Clearing negative energy. The smoke helps to change the molecular structure of both the air and energy, which produces a cleansing effect. As the sense of smell is strongly linked to memory and instinct, smudging is very effective for combating feels of anger, fear, anxiety, grief and depression.
- Clearing the air. In addition to bacteria, smudging can help clear the air of pollen, pet dander, dust, mold spores and other potential allergens to improve allergy symptoms.
- Cleansing objects. Not only can smudging cleanse a room, but it can cleanse objects. Whenever you bring a new object into your home, especially something like an antique that’s likely to have been exposed to negative energy over the years, you can use a smudge stick, allowing the smoke to pass over the time to help clear it so that it doesn’t affect you or your environment.
- Relaxing effects. Smudging can offer calming, relaxing effects that are known to help lower blood pressure, relieve stress and tension and normalize breathing rates, as the negative ions produced are absorbed directly into your bloodstream – they may even help to fight off damaging free radicals that can lead to premature aging and disease.
- Increased energy & improved sleep. Studies have found that the negative ions produced also help to normalize serotonin (that well-known feel-good hormone), in the brain, which can help boost one’s mood, improve focus and create a more positive outlook. It has been shown to help improve sleep patterns and have positive effects on regulating serotonin production.
Thanks to Uneaq-Scentsations we have a limited supply of smudging packs in the office that you can purchase to try out smudging in your home. For more information on smudging you can contact Uneaq-Scentsations at 253-448-0995 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here at Mossy Oak Properties we want to be sure we pass along information important to you in regards to outdoor recreation, agriculture and home. Check out more information on our Mossy Oak Properties Iowa Facebook page or on our Website found HERE. If you think you might be interested in joining the Mossy Oak Properties- Iowa team you can check out the opportunities available on our website.